Thank you for choosing Network Property Services for your housing needs. We look forward to making you feel comfortable and at home.
For your convenience, we have made our *Resident Policy Manual available below. This manual contains helpful information, and should cover many of the questions that you may have. Feel free to call the office, or send us an email, if you need any clarification on the information found in the resident policy manual.
NPS is pleased that you have selected an NPS-managed property as your new home. This booklet is designed to make your move-in through move-out as easy as possible while also answering many frequently asked questions. We encourage you to read through it and keep it for future reference. NPS welcomes you and looks forward to retaining you as a satisfied resident!
Regards, Deb Wise, Executive Director
- Your residence will be ready for you to occupy on the day of your lease commencement. You should pick up your keys and pay your first month’s rent on the day your lease begins. Please notify the office prior to this date if you are not able to come in that day so alternate arrangements for pickup can be made. All move in packets and keys must be picked up at the NPS office.
- In your move in packet there will be a Unit Inspection sheet. Please provide an updated phone number and email address at the top of the sheet and then fill out any applicable categories, making note of current damage conditions, before returning a copy of the form to our office. The form MUST be returned to our office within 3 days of your lease commencement date. This form will be used to check for damages at the time of move out. If this form is not returned within 3 days of your lease commencement date, you may be assessed for all damages in the unit upon your time of move out.
You must have all utilities for which you are responsible (as stated in your lease) placed in your name effective on the date your lease commences (regardless of whether or not it is occupied at that time). You will be responsible for any deposits required to start services by the utility companies. The following is a list of numbers to assist with this procedure:
- Electric – Indiana Michigan Power (AEP) – 1-800-311-4634
- Gas – Vectren Energy Delivery – 1-800-227-1376
- Water – Indiana American Water Co. – 1-800-492-8373
- Sewage* – Muncie Sanitary District* – 1-765-747-4894*
- Cable/Internet – Comcast – 1-800-934-6489
- Phone – AT&T – 1-800-288-2020
* Sewage will remain in the owner’s name and be invoiced to you on a monthly basis by NPS. You do not need to put this utility in your name.
This list covers all of the normal utilities for Muncie, IN. If you live in an area that utilizes different utility companies, you will be notified and provided the correct contact information.
If you are moving into a property that has special circumstances in regard to utilities, you will be notified and do not need to place them in your name. We will invoice you on a monthly basis for your portion of the usage.
If you do not have utilities turned on within 72 hours of your lease commencement date, your services may be interrupted and you will be responsible for any charges or fees that would result due to this action.
Rent is due on and must be received by the first day of each month. Please mail or drop your check off at the office on or before that date. Below is an example of a properly completed rent check. You must include the address of your residence and the month/year of the rent payment. This will help prevent lost or misapplied checks.
DO NOT make your check payable to “Network Property Services.” You must address all checks to the proper payee. The proper payee will be stated in your lease. We will accept Check or Money order; Cash payments are not accepted.
If you would like to set up an auto-draft from your checking account, please contact our office and ask for Sherry.
Please note that there is a $35.00 fee for each NSF check. Also, be aware that knowingly writing an NSF check could result in criminal prosecution. Applicable late fees will be assessed in the event a check is returned. All individuals who sign the lease are jointly and severally liable for the total rent throughout the entire lease term. Non-payment by any individual on the lease does not relieve the others of financial responsibility.
If your living situation does not work out, the following options are available:
- Sublease your unit (with written authorization) and credit approval of lessee by NPS.
- Contract with BSURentals to attempt to lease the unit for a fee.
- Continue to pay monthly rent until end of lease term.
Remember, ALL lessees are responsible for the rent – even if you are not living there. Please refer to the jointly & severally liable clause in your lease.
Please be considerate of your neighbors –
- Turn down the volume of your music and TV. Not everyone wants to listen with you.
- Don’t set trash outside your door. If NPS has to remove trash, there will be a $25.00 per bag charge. Please use the provided dumpsters/refuse containers for disposal purposes.
- If you have a party, keep in mind the noise and activity levels outside your unit. Many other residents may be attempting to sleep or study. If you have a neighbor whose party has gotten out of hand, please contact the Muncie City Police (765-286-4050) or Campus police (765-285-1111) to report it.
Warning notices will be sent for unacceptable conduct. If you continue to disregard these policies, actions will be taken that could result in eviction.
If you are locked out, you will need to contact the office if M-Th between 8 AM and 5 PM. If after 5 PM or on F-Sun, Please call 765-587-0280.
Fees for this service are as follows:
M-F (between 8 AM to 5 PM) – $45.00
Any other time (Weekends, Holidays, After Hours, ETC.) – $85.00
DURING BUSINESS HOURS (Monday – Thursday 8 AM to 4 PM) During business hours, contact the office at 765-289-7617 or submit a request on our maintenance page. If you get voicemail, be sure to leave your name, phone number, unit address, and nature of the request. Messages are retrieved on a regular basis. If your request is of an emergency nature, call 765-587-0280.
AFTER BUSINESS HOURS (After 5 PM Fridays, Weekends & Holidays)
Emergency maintenance requests after business hours should be reported to 765-587-0280. The following is a list of what classifies as an after-hours emergency requiring immediate action:
- No heat (and the outdoor temperature is below 50° degrees)
- Water leak causing damage
- Fire (Make sure to call 911 for assistance before reporting the fire to NPS)
- No electricity
- No air conditioning (only if room temperature is above 85° degrees)
- Gas leak (or smell gas)
- Entry door will not open or shut
- Clogged toilets (must be all toilets if you have more than 1)
- Clogged kitchen sink (You will be charged if repair is tenant caused)
- No hot water
- Any situation endangering the health or safety of the resident or others
If the request if for routine services, please leave a detailed message. Requesting service gives NPS the authority to enter the premise to complete the repair. A confirmation of request for repair schedule will not be given to resident. All service calls will be charged to resident(s) if the required repairs are a result of negligence or misuse. Invoices will be sent to lessee(s) and be payable upon receipt. A word of advice: The cost of a plunger is less than the cost of a labor service call ($5.99 compared to $75.00+).
Permits should be displayed inside the vehicle on your rear view mirror (colored/numbered side facing the windshield). Failure to display your parking permit could result in your vehicle being towed at your expense. You must park only in designated parking lot for your permit. If your lot is numbered, you must park in the space that has been assigned to you. If the lot is not numbered, you may park in any space your permit authorizes (unless otherwise indicated). If you lose your parking permit you must come to the NPS office and purchase a new one for $50.00. If your vehicle is in someone else’s space it may be towed at your expense.
If your lot is full and unauthorized vehicles are present, please call NPS and we will have the violators removed by a towing service. DO NOT CALL A TOWING SERVICE. 24 hour service is provided by NPS for this purpose. Lost vehicles can be located at Nye’s Towing & Wrecker Service (765-282-5092). They perform random lot checks and are authorized to tow away any vehicle not displaying a parking permit. Most lots are not equipped to provide additional parking beyond those designated for tenants per lease term. Please be mindful of this when having guests visit your apartment. NPS does not provide guest passes for parking lots and you are not able to purchase extra permits for your residence.
In the event of an emergency (Fire, Flood, Natural Disaster, Etc.) Please be careful and smart! Remove yourself from harm’s way or evacuate the building. Once you are in a safe location, Please call 911 and the NPS office. Remember, items are replaceable but people are not. Please always err on the side of caution if you hear alarms or warnings.
Prior to your lease expirations, an NPS representative will send you a letter asking for notification of your desire to renew or vacate the premises for the next lease term. Please respond within the time indicated on the notice. If you do not renew your lease, NPS will start showing the unit to prospective tenants. We will make every effort to notify you 24 hours prior to a showing of your unit. You do not need to be present for the showing and showings will not be changed or modified to fit your schedule. We typically show units between 10 AM and 5:30 PM M-F (unless otherwise notified). Please remember that if you are looking to move to another locations, NPS has several rentals in the Muncie area. We would be happy to help you re-locate to another NPS-managed unit.
Upon moving out you will need to do the following things:
- Utilities: Call companies that service the utilities you are responsible for paying and request that they provide a final reading for your service effective on the date your lease expires. Also, give them an address to send your final bill (if applicable). It is your responsibility to pay all bills through the lease ending date, whether the unit is occupied or not.
- Keys and Parking Permits: These items are to be dropped off at the NPS office on or before your move out date. There is a $100.00 charge if all door keys are not returned within 24 hours of lease termination date and $30.00 per key charge if all mailbox keys are not returned. Failure to return all parking permits issued will result in a fee of $50.00 per permit. Do not leave keys or permits in the unit upon move out.
- Forwarding Address: You must provide your forwarding address in writing when you drop off your keys or send by certified mail within 24 hours of lease termination date in order to receive any refund due.
Indiana State Law requires that security deposits be returned within 45 days from the lease expiration date. We will make our best efforts to return the deposit within 3 to 4 weeks. This can be expedited if you make sure to complete the items listed in the Move Out reminders category, as well as leaving your unit in a good, clean condition.
Refunds will be made payable to all tenants listed on the lease and will be sent to the forwarding address that has been provided to us. If you have any questions in regards to a security deposit refund or a security deposit invoice, please call the NPS office at 765-289-7617.